Monday, January 26, 2015

Shabbat Shira; B'Shalach

Exodus 13:17−17:16

by James Greene for Jewish Reconstructionist Communities

Joyful, Soulful, Prayer


I should preface this dvar-Torah by admitting that I love to sing. Although I was an instrumental musician earlier in my life and even attended a Conservatory of Music as a saxophone player for my undergraduate studies, singing has always been in my soul. To sing in joy is perhaps one of the greatest pleasures a person can have in their life and is truly one of the ways we can serve God (ivdu et adonay besimhah).

We need song and music and melody to help us celebrate the good in life, and also to help us mourn our losses and take stock of where we are on our own personal journeys. When I sing I often feel myself opening up my soul to divine blessing and receiving the goodness that is inherent in the world and in the music.

Continue reading.

Want to know more about Biblical Figures? Follow our board    page.


No comments:

Post a Comment